We’re excited to now offer mobile check-in! Please look for an email/text message a few days before your appointment from Phreesia, our new check-in system. You can confirm your appointment via text message or email, and check in online prior to your visit. You can also check in on your own device when you arrive.
Ask us about getting started!
Pediatric Heart Center strives to provide the highest quality of care in a compassionate, dedicated and caring environment to our patients. Our board certified cardiologists have extensive experience treating infants, children and adolescents, as well as unborn babies with acquired or congenital heart disease. We offer comprehensive cardiology consultation, diagnosis, management and follow up. We also coordinate care for invasive procedures and cardiovascular surgery with tertiary care hospitals.
Congenital heart disease is the most common birth defect, occurring in 8 out of every 1,000 babies. Of those, one-third will have a critical malformation requiring intervention immediately after birth.
Our Fetal Cardiology Program was established to improve detection and improve outcomes for this fragile patient population. Our fetal cardiology experts collaborate, share best practices and discuss complex cases to ensure patients receive timely diagnosis and intervention using the most advanced techniques available.
- For the fetus: We diagnose and treat congenital heart disease and abnormal cardiovascular physiology.
- For the child: We manage the transition from fetal to neonatal life and surgical treatment.
- For the mother: We care for pregnant mothers with congenital heart disease.
Using a specialized ultrasound called fetal echocardiography (fetal echo), our fetal cardiology experts can evaluate the position, size, structure, function and rhythm of the fetal heart. The optimal time to perform a fetal echo is between 20 and 22 weeks of pregnancy.
We understand that a fetal assessment can be stressful for a pregnant woman concerned about her baby. We are able to perform our examination and provide our assessment during the same office visit, alleviating the stress associated with the typical wait time for results. While fetal echo is an excellent tool, not all conditions can be diagnosed in utero. Ultrasound may be limited by fetal position, maternal size and other factors not under our control.
Fetal cardiology consultation indications
Indications for fetal echocardiography and consultation include:
- Abnormal fetal heart rate or rhythm
- Advanced maternal age
- Autoimmune antibodies, anti-Ro (SSA/anti-La (SSB)
- Chromosomal abnormalities
- Extracardiac anomaly
- Familial inherited disorders
- Family history of congenital heart disease
- Gestational diabetes and pre-gestational diabetes
- Hydrops fetalis
- Increased nuchal translucency
- In vitro fertilization pregnancy
- Known or suspected cardiac defect (suspected abnormal screening exam)
- Known or suspected fetal abnormalities
- Maternal infection
- Metabolic disease (e.g., diabetes mellitus, phenylketonuria, lipoprotein abnormalities)
- Monochorionic twins
- Teratogen exposure (e.g., retinoids, lithium, anti-seizure medications)
Meet Our Clinicians
Our local clinicians are highly trained to meet the individual needs of patients. Learn about their training, certifications, and other credentials by viewing their individual biographies.View Directory