We’re excited to now offer mobile check-in! Please look for an email/text message a few days before your appointment from Phreesia, our new check-in system. You can confirm your appointment via text message or email, and check in online prior to your visit. You can also check in on your own device when you arrive.
Ask us about getting started!
Pediatric Surgical Associates was founded in 1972 by renowned pediatric surgeon and international authority on conjoined twin separation, Dr. Theodore Votteler. Since that time, the pediatric surgeons at Pediatric Surgical Associates have helped thousands of children in Dallas and the surrounding communities.
Our surgeons continue to honor the legacies of Dr. Votteler and recently retired former Medical Director Dr. Darrell Hermann by remaining on the cutting edge of pediatric surgical procedures ranging from common hernia surgery to rare surgical procedures like the complex separation of conjoined twins, minimally-invasive surgeries, or the new Bascom procedure for pilonidal cysts.
Our pediatric surgery services also include, but are not limited to abdominal and abdominal wall surgery, thoracic surgery (chest and chest wall), genitourinary surgery, head and neck surgery, skin and soft tissue surgery, laparoscopic surgery (minimally invasive), birth defects and prenatal counseling.
With over 100 years of combined experience, we offer experience you, as a parent, can trust. Our surgeons and staff are committed to the safety and well-being of the children entrusted to our care.
- Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas
- Cook Children’s Pediatric Surgery Center Plano
- Medical City Children’s Hospital
- Medical City Plano
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
- Texas Pediatric Surgery Center
We are known for a variety of surgeries and procedures including:Abdominal and Abdominal Wall Surgery:
- Hernia repair – including umbilical, inguinal, incisional/ventral and esophageal
- Surgical management of inflammatory bowel disease
- Congenital defects of the abdominal wall
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Malrotation/Ladd procedure
- Appendicostomy, cecostomy, ACE procedure
- Surgical treatment of Hirschsprung’s disease (Soave pull-through)
- Bowel obstruction
- Intestinal atresias/duodenal atresia
Head and Neck Surgery:
- Frenulectomy (tongue-tied)
- Branchial cleft
- Thyroglossal duct cyst
- Lymph node biopsies
Thoracic (Chest & Chest Wall Surgery):
- Brace therapy for pectus carinatum
- Pectus excavatum
- Pectus carinatum
- Nuss procedure with with cryo intercostal nerve block for long acting analgesia
- Patent ductus arteriosis (PDA)
- Breast mass
- Thoracoscopy (VATS)
- Surgery of the esophagus, liver, spleen and adrenal glands
Skin and Soft Tissue Surgery:
- Foreign body removal
- Incision and drainage of abscess (I&D)
- Placement and removal of Mediports
- Testicular torsion
- Scrotal or inguinal problems, such as undescended testicle and hydrocele/hernia/
- Intestinal atresias/duodenal atresia
- Sacrococcygeal teratoma (SCT)
- Esophageal atresia
- Tracheoesophageal fistula
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH)
- Imperforate anus (Peña pull-through)
- Congenital lung lesions (CPAMs and sequestrations)
The surgical field was revolutionized about 25 years ago by the introduction of minimally invasive surgery — surgery performed through small incisions allowing quicker recovery with less discomfort and hospitalization but with the same or even greater safety.
Each of our surgeons has a great deal of experience in minimally invasive laparoscopic (abdominal) and thoracoscopic (chest) procedures; some members of the group have been innovators in certain minimally invasive procedures.
We limit our use of minimally invasive procedures to those that have become standard and with which we are proficient; we do not attempt risky or ‘experimental’ procedures.
Meet Our Clinicians
Our local clinicians are highly trained to meet the individual needs of patients. Learn about their training, certifications, and other credentials by viewing their individual biographies.View Directory