Juan Prieto, MD
Medical TrainingUniversidad De Caldas
ResidencyUniversidad Nacional De Colombia, Urology
- University of Miami, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, Urology, Pediatric Urology
Dr. Prieto is originally from Colombia, South America. After graduating first in his medical school class, he completed his Urology Residency at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia in Bogota. Then, he completed two Pediatric Urology Fellowship programs at Miami Children’s Hospital (University of Miami) and Children’s Medical Center of Dallas (University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center).
Dr. Prieto is the current Section Chief of Pediatric Urology at Children’s Hospital of San Antonio and holds the position of Clinical Adjunct Professor for the Urology Department of San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium Program (SAUSHEC) and the Pediatrics Department of Baylor College of Medicine, San Antonio, Texas. He works primarily at Children’s Hospital of San Antonio and Methodist Children’s Hospital in San Antonio, Texas.
Outside of medicine, his interests include spending time with his family and friends, outdoor activities, traveling, working out, hiking and soccer.
Currently, Dr. Prieto is serving as the President of the Iberoamerican Society for Pediatric Urology. This academic society includes pediatric urologists from twenty-four Ibero American (Latin America, Spain and Portugal) countries. In addition, he travels periodically to other countries as a lecturer and to perform charitable urologic surgery to underserved pediatric populations.
Services provided and areas of expertise:
- Office procedures: circumcision up to 6 weeks of age, excision of penile skin/bridge adhesions, meatotomy, lysis of labial fusion, etc.
- Male genital conditions: phimosis, circumcision, buried penis, hypospadias, penile torsion or curvature, undescended testicle, hydroceles, varicocele, etc.
- Urinary and genital tract conditions in both male and female: hydronephrosis, vesicoureteral reflux, neurogenic bladder, kidney stones, voiding dysfunctional syndrome, ureteral anomalies (duplicated collecting systems), ureterocele, posterior urethral valves, urinary tract infection, hematuria, urinary or fecal incontinence, fetal urologic problems, renal and bladder conditions, testicular pathology (e.g., testicular tumors, torsion, cyst, etc.), disorders of sexual differentiation, urogenital sinus, vaginal agenesis, etc.
- Spinal cord disorders (spina bifida-Myelomeningocele, tethered cord, sacral agenesis, etc.). Our office has the most up-to-date urodynamic equipment used to evaluate the lower urinary tract in children.
- Urinary stones: We have the appropriate mini-ureteroscopes and stents to be able to endoscopically treat the majority of urinary stones in children.
Pediatric urological surgeries: Outpatient surgery (inguinal hernia, hydrocele, circumcision, etc.), endoscopic surgery (cystoscopy, vaginoscopy, ureteroscopy), open surgery (nephrectomy, partial nephrectomy, pyeloplasty, ureteral reimplantation, etc.), laparoscopic and robotic surgery (nephrectomy, partial nephrectomy, pyeloplasty, etc.), and complex reconstructive surgery (complex hypospadias repair, vaginoplasty, appendicovesicostomy, MACE procedure, bladder augmentation, etc.).