Research, Education & Quality
Clinical Research Program
The Pediatrix Medical Group – San Antonio Research Team is actively involved in research studies within the CHRISTUS, Methodist, and Baptist Health Systems. These include a mix of NIH funded clinical trials, industry formula/device studies, compassionate use drug studies, observational studies, database research, and chart reviews. Our goal is to bring cutting edge therapies to our patients and to improve the care of all babies. You may be approached by a Research Team member if your child is eligible for an ongoing clinical study in the NICU. If you have questions at any time about a potential study ask your physician and the Research Team will be contacted for you.
Pediatrix Medical Group of Texas - San Antonio is an affiliate of MEDNAX, Inc. MEDNAX, Inc. is a national medical group that comprises the nation’s leading providers of neonatal, anesthesia, maternal-fetal and pediatric physician subspecialty services. Physicians and advanced practitioners practicing as part of MEDNAX are reshaping the delivery of care within their specialties and subspecialties, using evidence-based tools, continuous quality initiatives and clinical research to enhance patient outcomes and provide high-quality, cost-effective care. In an effort to better understand, assess and improve the care we provide, our clinicians contribute to and learn from the Pediatrix Clinical Data Warehouse, the largest known database of neonatal outcomes in the world.
Supported by Mednax Center for Research, Education and Quality, our practice offers many educational initiatives to enhance professional development and patient care. These activities are intended not only for our clinicians, but also for our local colleagues. Educational conferences include:
- Cardiac S.T.A.B.L.E.
- Innovations in Neonatal Care
- Neonatal Cardiac Symposium
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program/S.T.A.B.L.E
- Not So Scary Kid Conference
- Registered Nurse Certified Review Course
Continuous Quality Improvement
Our practice is focused on continuous quality improvement and engages in workgroups in order to identify best processes in a variety of neonatal care areas.
Working in a collaborative environment, our neonatologists and advanced practitioners participate in ongoing research and continuous quality improvement (CQI) programs to enhance outcomes. We participated in one of Pediatrix Medical Group’s large-scale quality improvement initiatives, the 100,000 Babies Campaign. Our current projects include initiatives to:
- Newborn / Neonatal Safe Sleep Practices
- Improve Breastfeeding Rates at Discharge
- Improve Nutrition / Growth in Our Premature Population
- Reduce Incidence of Necrotizing Enterocolitis
- Improve Delivery Room Management / Golden Hour
- Reduce Incidence of Hypothermia Upon Admission
- Reduce Catheter-Associated Bloodstream Infections
- Reduce Incidence of Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Reduce Incidence of Intraventricular Hemorrhage
- Reduce Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia and Chronic Lung Disease
- Improve Health Literacy for Parents / Families